1 a platform raised above the surrounding level to give prominence to the person on it [syn: dais, podium, pulpit, ambo, stump, soapbox]
2 beaklike projection of the anterior part of the head of certain insects such as e.g. weevils [syn: snout] [also: rostra (pl)]
EtymologyFrom rostrum from rodo. The pulpit sense comes from comes from the Roman Rostra, the platforms in the Forum where politicians made speeches. The Rostra were decorated with the beaks (prows) of ships from naval victories.
Rostrum can mean one of several different things:
- Rostrum (anatomy), an anatomical structure resembling a bird's beak, such as the snout of crocodiles and dolphins or the part of the carapace of a crustacean. Since the rostrum is typically located about the thorax of an arthropod, it is differentiated from the cauda or tail.
- A ram bow on a ship.
- The platform a speaker stands on while giving a speech. Such platforms in the Roman Forum were made in the shape of a ship bow. The most famous one is the Rostra in the Roman Forum.
- A rostrum camera, a camera placed over a motorised moving platform (the rostrum), used to animate a still picture or object for television or film.
- A Rostrum club, a group of people who meet to improve their skills in public speaking and meeting procedure. Each club is part of a larger non-profit organisation that promotes and facilitates the improvement of public speaking skills. See Australian Rostrum
- The Rostrum, is the official monthly magazine of the National Forensic League.
- Rostrum of corpus callosum, a part of the human brain
The term rostrum means "beak" in Latin.
rostrum in German: Rostrum
ambo, antlia, balcony, beak, beezer, bill, bow, bowsprit, bugle, catafalque, conk, dais, desk, emplacement, estrade, figurehead, floor, forecastle, foredeck, forepeak, gallery, heliport, hustings, jib boom, landing, landing pad, landing stage, launching pad, lectern, muffle, muzzle, nares, neb, nib, nose, nostrils, nozzle, olfactory organ, pecker, platform, podium, proboscis, prore, prow, pulpit, reading desk, rhinarium, schnozzle, smeller, snoot, snout, soapbox, stage, stand, stem, step terrace, stump, terrace, tribunal, tribune, trunk